On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 09:35:07PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> [ Note that my position is based on the assumption that we have a
> share of DDs interested in rolling similar to the share of DDs
> interested in stable releases. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to
> know where we stand regarding this. ]

I'm assuming that releasing is what Debian is about (and fwiw if you
read Raphael's proposal, it's for him too), meaning that rolling is a
second class citizen here.

And frankly, I think that anything that makes rolling as important as
releasing stables is against Debian (and its users) interest. Why? well
just answer that question: would you run a rolling-based distro on
servers? Answer: if you're a sysadmin it will be "NO" because the
security model of rolling is "update to the latest software", you know,
the firefox-kind-of-security. Remember that we hate it, because with
security fix come:
  - upgrade path hells
  - new bugs
  - removed features
  - …

There are other distros out-there that do rolling release only (gentoo,
arch), note how none of them also do stable releases (I think gentoo
used to tag their repository every now and then, but that doesn't make
them releases, please, at least not in the Debian sense).
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit