On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@madism.org> writes:
>
> > No what we want is probably to be attractive to developers, while
> > keeping our standards about the stable release, which is what really
> > matters. And to do that, well, what we need is to make working for
> > Debian easier. Not harder. rolling is making working for Debian harder,
> > hence is a bad proposal. Harder because it means people will have more
> > work for a package. Maintainers are (me included) often too lazy to
> > prepare Stable updates because it's a PITA to have to work on a 1-yo
> > version of the package. Why would they be more motivated to work on
> > testing packages?
>
> > No we should focus instead on making packaging easier, not adding new
> > constraints, new goals. Here are a few thoughts on how to do that.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't think I'm convinced that rolling would make anything harder, and I
> don't want to support that part of Pierre's message, but I did want to say
> that the description laid out in this message about how PPAs could work
> and on using a unified VCS for that purpose sounds *awesome*, and I would
> love to use something like that.

+1

I'm in favor of what Pierre has described[1] and it's certainly something
that I would like to see happen. But it's absolutely not in opposition
to CUT/rolling.

The philosophy behind testing is that it should always stay as close as
possible to a releasable state and anything we do to make testing more
usable certainly contributes to this.

Fixing RC bugs in testing and getting new upstream versions that are
ready in testing is not a burden for developers, it's what we're
supposed to do to ensure we can release as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

[1] It's very similar to the "overlay repositories" that I suggested last
year in http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2010/03/msg00385.html
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)