Re: Warm up discussion about desktop files [Was: Lintian check for missing desktop files?]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:50:29 +0200
"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> wrote:

> * Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [110418 15:33]:
> > As far as I understood [1] fvwm 2.6 now can use XDG menus.  So it might
> > be that even fvwm users will be happy about desktop files.  Can we now
> > come back to the discussion whether it might make sense to have desktop
> > files for desktop applications?
>
> As I said in multiple other discussions about this: Please write
> a policy how .desktop files in Debian should look like and some
> documentation for maintainers what the categories means and
> some documentation for users how to do the basic things like
> overriding a menu entry.
>
> Currently there is none of this[1]. I think it makes no sense to discuss
> if things should have desktop files or whether it makes sense to
> remove the old working system.

How can the old Debian menu system be considered as "working" when it
has never supported translation? All those titles and longtitles, not
a single one can be shown as a translated string. For that reason alone,
the old Debian menu system should be withdrawn as not fit for release.

It doesn't matter about documentation for developers using the system,
what matters is that users don't get the descriptive text in their own
language even if 100% of all other translatable strings exist.

Developers can add their own docs to a Wiki page - come on, that's
utterly trivial. *Prohibiting* translation of descriptive text which is
intended to be helpful to users ought to be an RC bug in and of itself.
Fine if the translation doesn't exist but menu actively prevents
translation. That is simply BUST - RC bust IMNSHO.

--

Neil Williams