Build-Essential

Hi,

there are currently two ways to indicate what Debian considers
"Build-Essential". There is the package build-essential and there is
also a flag in the packages files.

We think it was used to be able to calculate the B-E packages by "just
looking at the packages files", but we do not see a good reason to have
it so. Simply installing the build-essential package plus dependencies
should do the trick too.

As far as we know currently the main user of this field seems to be
debootstrap in its buildd variant mode. If anybody else is using this it
would be useful if we could know about it, but currently we don't see
any reason to keep the flag, it is just useless extra maintenance to
have two places. As such we intend to drop the B-E flag after Squeeze is
removed from the main archive, which means all tools starting with
Wheezy using the flag should cope with using the package.

--
bye, Joerg
<zobel> cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp