chromium-browser is taking over all URLs

Hi everyone, esp chromium and mime devs,

since some time chromium has taken over all http/https urls. I checked
every place I could for the correct settings, but I didn't manage to
find the real culprit. It seems that gnome/VTE/whatever uses xdg-open,
which in turn uses gvfs-open.

Reading throught the straces of gvfs-open I see references to mime.

I checked:
- alternatives of: x-www-browser, sensible-browser, www-browser, gnome-browser
  and all of them point to iceweasel
- checked the "preferred applications" in GNOME and it also shows
  iceweasel
- checked with
    xdg-settings get default-web-browser
  also iceweasel

I am a bit lost now where to go, I always get chromium, which I don't want,
but I want to keep it around in case I need it for some web sites.

Please advice anyone?!

Best wishes

Norbert
SKELLOW (adj.)
Descriptive of the satisfaction experienced when looking at a really
good dry-stone wall.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff