Re: binNMU for Arch: all packages.

Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Goswin.
>
> Excerpts from Goswin von Brederlow's message of Qua Jan 26 11:28:59 -0200 2011:
> (...)
>> But having some generated html files depend on the exact ghc version
>> seems extrem.
>
> Yes, I don't see the need of adding a Depends: field to -doc packages.
>
>> So splitting out the version dependent .haddoc files into
>> the -dev packages (as mentioned in another mail in this thread) seems
>> the right, or at least the sanest, thing to do.
>
> This is the current approach, and it's not good, in my opinion, because it
> makes the index be created, with broken links.  The .haddock file is used by
> ghc6-doc to know which packages should be listed in
> /usr/share/doc/ghc6-doc/html/libraries/index.html .  If the -dev package is
> installed, but not the -doc, the links for the modules in this package are
> listed in this file, but they're broken.

Then have -dev recommend -doc. Then users get the docs installed by
default and have woking links and autobuilders don't.

Or put the .haddock file somewhere private where ghc6-doc doesn't see it
and put a link into the -doc package that ghc6-doc does see. Then -doc
has to depend on -dev.

> (...)
>> And with the -dev package being arch:any the whole issue of
>> arch:all binNMUs becomes mood?
>
> There are two issues.  The first one is that the links in the index are not
> generated with old .haddock files.  The other one is that new versions of
> haddock will produce different HTML files, and it's a good thing to have all
> documentation using the latest format haddock produces.

I'm hoping the haddock output does not change drsatically on every
upload. On updates where it changes a full sourcefull upload can be done
or arch:all binNMUs. But that would be a rare(r) occurance.

> I still think arch:all binNMU would be the exact solution, but I'm thinking
> about using sourceful uploads instead, since that seems to cause problems.

In a perfect world ...

> Greetings.
> (...)

MfG