Re: Equivalent packages between Linux distributions

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 04:53:07PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> I'm the developer of Listaller, a cross-distro software installer/manager
> and therefore also interested in this topic, as it is one of the major
> technical problems which are currently not solved very well :)
> Unfortunately I couldn't attend the AppInstaller meeting. (I wanted to,
> but couldn't take the time off)

After some unit testing and cleanup the tool finally started to become
useful to the point I could allow myself to spend time blogging instead
of coding: you can find details at
http://www.enricozini.org/2011/debian/distromatch/

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:03:14PM +1100, Silvio Cesare wrote:

>    The method I am using is based on similarity between filename lists of
>    source packages. I use the Jaccard index
>    ([1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaccard_index) between�sets of filenames
>    to calculate similarity. This was done as an offshoot�from the�PhD
>    research I'm currently undertaking at Deakin University.

Neat! Are you publishing the sample dataset only at this stage, or do
you also intend to public the code? (I didn't see the code in your git
repo, maybe I just missed it)

I could be interested in playing with it a bit more, potentially
replicating the method on binary packages or seeing if an approximation
on it can be run on the Xapian indices that distromatch is using.

If the datasets prove useful it could also be interesting to schedule
periodic runs on a Debian machine.

Ciao,

Enrico

--