Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

On 18.01.2011 06:08, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Also; You said, the hook breaks suspend/hibernate. I don't agree this is the
>> case. If there is no upgrade running, the hook will exit immediately.
>> If there is an upgrade running, the hook simply blocks until the upgrade has
>> finished. Suspend/Hibernate is still not 100% reliable, so this is probably a
>> safe choice.
>
> ... unless the system is being suspended because it is critically low on
> battery, and is going to crash and lose the user's work and need a fsck
> otherwise.
>
> Suspend may not be 100% reliable on all hardware or in all
> circumstances, but that is not a good excuse to make it significantly
> less reliable, really.

Sure, as already said, it is a trade-off.

Starting an upgrade when the system is on (low) battery is certainly not a good
idea.
I don't know how unattended-upgrades works, but it could skip the upgrade if the
system is running on batteries.

universe are pointed away from Earth?