Re: packages with hook interfaces and no documented hook policy

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:19:01PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Huh?  I use unattended-upgrades on my laptop as a way to keep it
> > updated without having to create the cron job myself.  But I don't
> > expect it to force itself to run at times where I want to the laptop
> > to sleep.
>
> Use cron-apt instead? unattended-upgrades is more commonly used on
> servers with a PSU attached.
>
> I wouldn't ever use any form of automated upgrades on a laptop - no
> guarantee the laptop has a connection even if it is on.
>
> I'm afraid this comes down to error between chair and keyboard. Most
> people just wouldn't put those packages on a laptop.

sudo LC_ALL=C aptitude why unattended-upgrades
i   gnome                      Depends software-center
i A software-center            Depends python-aptdaemon (>= 0.11+bzr342)
i A python-aptdaemon           Depends python-software-properties
i A python-software-properties Depends unattended-upgrades

Yes, this is a laptop answering. I did not install unattented-upgrades
myself.

NB: this may be a bug in any of the last three packages.