Re: wrong devices seen in squeeze

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 09:38:18PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> on my (older) system, I discovered a weired behaviour: although I am using
> IDE-harddrives, they are seen as /dev/sdX (IDE-drives should be discovered as
> /dev/hdX). Is this a kernel-decision? In /etc/fstab are only entries with
> "/dev/hdX". Because of this, it is impossible to get grub-pc running (kernel-
> panic). Strange: The system is runnning perfectly with grub-legacy and those
> wrong devices. Booting with a live-cd, all harddrives are recognized as
> /dev/hdX.

This is due to using the libata PATA drivers instead of the old IDE
ones.  libata drives all appear with the SCSI naming, regardless of
which bus they are connected to.  Since the libata drivers are now the
default in a Debian kernel, all your drives should appear as sd*.  I
believe new kernel packages should help you migrate to a UUID-based
naming method so that how exactly your disks are labelled becomes
irrelevant.