wrong devices seen in squeeze

Dear maintainers,

on my (older) system, I discovered a weired behaviour: although I am using
IDE-harddrives, they are seen as /dev/sdX (IDE-drives should be discovered as
/dev/hdX). Is this a kernel-decision? In /etc/fstab are only entries with
"/dev/hdX". Because of this, it is impossible to get grub-pc running (kernel-
panic). Strange: The system is runnning perfectly with grub-legacy and those
wrong devices. Booting with a live-cd, all harddrives are recognized as
/dev/hdX.

Weired, eh? Thought, I should mention this....

Best regards

Hans