Re: using perl in preinst script

On 2010-12-28, Carsten Hey <carsten@debian.org> wrote:
> * Russ Allbery [2010-12-27 08:49 -0800]:
>> Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> writes:
>> > I thought there were some plans to try to get rid of perl-base being
>> > essential, in that case only shell (or C?) is a real alternative.
> We are not that far away from being able to implement this plan.  One
> reason for this is that dpkg's perl scripts were rewritten in C.

I know you phrased it differently but wasn't the motivation for this rewrite to
be more robust in the base system on upgrades?  I.e. do not rely on Perl and
thus avoid adding more contraints on how the base upgrade must be performed
to keep dpkg working properly.

> After debootstraping the minbase variant of sid, installing file-rc and
> removing insserv, there is not much perl left in the newly created
> system.  The remaining perl library packages could be removed after
> installing debconf-english.

"You don't care about non-native speakers?"  SCNR.

The cdebconf bugs look like there's still a bit of development to do.  But
maybe there's a slight chance it could be ready for wheezy, at least as an
alternative.  (But then there's also a slight chance that it could still
contain Perl scripts.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern