using perl in preinst script

Hi,
I am the maintainer for calendarserver. I have a query reg. preinst
script. I need to perform some action during preinst before the upgrade of
calendarserver happens from 1.x to 2.x. For this, I wrote the necessary
code in python in preinst script. But this was rejected into being accepted
into squeeze as writing python code or calling the python interpreter in
preinst is not permitted.

As the upgrade code has to parse .plist files, writing shell script would
be a very difficult task. So I would like to know what are my other
options? Could I write it in perl?

Also is there any estimate date on the release of squeeze?

Looking forward to a response.

Thanks and Regards,
Rahul.