Re: /etc/profile.d/

On 12/20/2010 02:11 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Please don’t use profile.d to do that. Nothing guarantees you that this
> variable will be available everywhere.
>
> This is precisely the reason why I’d rather we didn’t have such a
> feature, since it inevitably gets misused in such a way - as it has been
> for years by ISVs on Red Hat.

Yes. I later looked more to find out bug reports on why this was
discouraged.

Since my application has multiple invocations based on udev events, I
instead resorted to using locks.

But that makes me ask: What is LSB there for ? I had looked at the
latest spec and this issue was resolved/deprecated in Debian long back.
Shouldn't they look into the rationale provided by Debian ?

Thanks,
Ritesh

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs