Re: Removing dbconfig support ?

hi there,

(for future reference dbconfig-common-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org is
probably the proper place for this type of discussion).

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:31:22AM +0100, Pierre Chifflier wrote:
> Since the package is using dbconfig since a few versions, I'm now facing
> an upgrade problem before I can upload 0.78.1.
> For the moment, I'm thinking about removing dbconfig-common support and
> let all the configuration happen in the PHP scripts but I can't tell the
> consequences on previous installations.
> What is the best (not problematic) solution ? Any idea / help will be
> appreciated.

one alternative i would suggest exploring is keeping dbconfig-common for
the database/database-user creation (and maybe initial SQL bootstrap),
and leave the "upgrade" task to the application if the app provides
better support for that.  for example, this is what is done in the
cacti package, which also has some fairly complicated/robust upgrade
tasks between versions.

	sean