Re: screenshots.d.n

[Late response, I know. I'm lagging following email and mailing lists.]

Am 17.11.2010 14:11, schrieb Simon Paillard:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:45:22PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:14:41PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>>> Currently packages.d.o does not know if a package has a screenshot or
>>> not. To do that it would need to regularly download the screenshots
>>> metadata and make use of it. Patches welcome if anyone wants to
>>> implement it.
>
> Proposed by mail to Christoph (but not in a bug tracker, my bad):
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2010/08/msg00164.html
>
> Making a http redirect to a single picture an screenshots.d.n end would
> increase speed (and it's possible since screenshots.d.n knows itself wheter a
> picture is available or not).

Basically a good idea. The images are used in several places already
though like Synaptic, Ubuntu's Software Center etc. I'm not sure if all
these places handle redirects well. I'll have that checked first.

>> I have no idea how packages.d.o is implemented but if it would be based
>> on the information in UDD the information about screenshots is there.
>
> It's a static link to
> http://screenshots.debian.net/thumbnail-with-version/${pkg_bin}/${version}

Btw, I'm glad that packages.debian.org finally uses the screenshots.
It's been a struggle for two years. :)

Kindly
 Christoph