Re: Debian participating in Google Code-in 2010, we need your help!

On 23/11/10 at 10:58 +0100, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Lucas Nussbaum
> <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Arthur and Ana,
> >
> > On 23/11/10 at 00:31 +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> >> You can watch the list of Debian tasks at:
> >> http://www.google-melange.com/gci/program/list_tasks/google/gci2010
> >> (You will need to filter by Organization: Debian)
> >
> > So, apparently someone (I assume Arthur based on the wiki log) decided
> > to add a task listing me as a contact, without even talking to me about
> > it before:
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/show/google/gci2010/debian/t128985930296
> >
> > I already got an email from a participant asking for help, which I
> > replied with "I don't know what you are talking about".
> >
> > I'm very annoyed by this. Please fix it ASAP by removing me from
> > the "Contact" for this task, and stop referring people to me.
>
> This is getting very annoying.
>
> I didn't suggest the UDD task subject, I merely uploaded it to Melange.
> I'm not going to name who came up with it as some consider it's some
> kind of felony, but he can come forward.
> I never assigned you as mentor. If you went to look up the task
> details on Melange, you'd see that I am named as mentor.

I am listed as "Contact" in the description on
http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/show/google/gci2010/debian/t128985930296
No wonder why people contact me.

And then, in the comment below the description, you suggested to "Get
in touch with Lucas to discuss ideas." While I'm always fine with
discussing UDD with free software developers, mentoring students aged
under 18 is a bit different.

> The only reason the student who claimed the task contacted you is
> because your name is kind of all over the place on webpages related to
> UDD.
> If you consider being contacted about UDD or having having people
> contribute around UDD a nuisance, then fine. I'll just cancel the task
> and refrain from accepting any other.

I consider it a nuisance when someone decides that I commit to doing
something without even talking to me about it.

I briefly considered the idea of submitting tasks to GCI, but decided
against it because I'm quite busy currently, and already had Debian
things I wanted to do more than that.

So, in short, either you:
- decide you want to mentor that task, and remove me from the Contact
  field in melange
- decide you don't want to mentor that task, and cancel the task

I'm not sure what "refrain from accepting any other" means. If that
means that you'll no longer accept tasks from me because you accepted
one from me which wasn't really from me, that's a rather strange
decision. I would prefer if you did the opposite.

> > Also, I see you submitted quite a lot of tasks on behalf of the Debian
> > QA team. I was not pinged about it, which is fine (I'm not supposed to
> > know everything about QA), but I hope you have had some contacts with
> > someone in the QA team that is ready to answer questions.
> >
> > And in the future, please refrain from making actions on behalf of other
> > DDs without their prior approval.
>
> What kind of bureaucratic dystopia is this?

What's "dystopia"?

- Lucas