Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

On 17.09.10 10:59, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
* Vincent Bernat<bernat@debian.org>  schrieb:

Wait a minute! Arbitrary _users_ should never try to rebuild anything
on a stable/production system. As soon as you're attempting that,
you're stepping into the package maintainer or developer role, and
then you should *know* what you're doing (or at least learn it).
[...]

Hello, /usr/local...

Should never be used.

no?

Keep living in your narrow-minded world where users are not allowed
to compile themselves software and where all systems are up-to-date.

I never said this. I dont want to forbid them anything. But as soon
as you're beginning to compile and install packages on yourself,
you're leaving the user role, and you should know what you're doing.
(or do it on some safe playgound).

I think you are confusing the word "users". For a distribution in
"users" we include normal users (of a multiuser system), sysadmin,
super users, programmers, and any person that install they own machine.

Many of such roles requires to compile and install customs programs.
Linux always supported such behaviour.

You know, gcc is installed in debian not only for debian developers,
and surelly not for only for programmers that will not use/test they
own programs.

ciao
	cate