Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

* Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [100721 09:13]:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 05:18:13PM -0400, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > I think there should be a popcon mode where it only reports the
> > > installed packages.
> >
> > and it should be the default.
>
> Why?  IMHO the number of packages which are *really* used is much more
> interesting than all the packages which might be installed for dome
> testing and just forgotten to purge.

I think even for that something like having three formats,
chosen on user-settings and noatime options, one being

<packagename> RECENT-CTIME|VOTE|OLD|NO-FILES

one for people with /usr noatime:

<packagename> RECENT-CTIME|NO-ATIME|NO-FILES

and the last one for the paranoid exhibitionists:

<packagename> INSTALLED

would make it much more easy to enable it at more places.
(and might also make the graphs more interesting, as one never
knows which of the olds are just people with noatime).

The current format like

1279713663 1245067125 mutt /usr/bin/mutt

is just creepy from a privacy viewpoint. Sending all information
you have might have been nice when one did not yet know if the
OLD and RECENT-CTIMES stuff has choosen the right time frame.
But collecting all this information when all we do with them is
those graphs it not needed at all.

	Bernhard R. Link