Re: setgid umask override versus global umask change

Am Sun, 30 May 2010 09:44:49 -0700
schrieb Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net>:

> This would seem to be a trival kernel patch, whether implemented
> alone or together with a /sys control to enable/disable it.
>
> Can anyone see any downside?

I guess the interface would be quite different. Checking the current
umask and overriding it if needed are standard procedures for apps.

Other than that, it seems it would not allow shared access to $HOME
or files in any other non-sgid directories with a multiple member
private group.

Do you see a security hole in granting user permission for the group
after the suggested UPG tests (instead of a global umask change)?

Cheers,
Christian