Hadoop in Debian, was:Re: Hardware trouble ries.debian.org

Joerg Jaspert:
<SNIP>
> The only trouble this setup has is that you have a pretty huge expensive
> machine always on and running, but not actually doing stuff for
> 99.999999999999% of the time.
</SNIP>

Hadoop is now in Debian: http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hadoop.html
Hadoop is an Open Source implementation of Google's File System, MapReduce and
BigTable (HBase, not yet packaged).

The idea behind Google's infrastructure and therefor Hadoop is: Have many
cheap comodity servers that together form a powerful cluster. Each node of the
cluster is redundant and can be replaced without downtime.

I believe, but can't know for sure, that everything what FTP-Master does,
could be implemented on top of hadoop.
However it means for sure a lot of work and many hardcore sysadmins will feel
very uncomfortable to use Java, the language Hadoop is written in.

I'm planning to give a presentation of hadoop at the DebConf in Bosnia and
maybe then we may discuss, if hadoop should have a place in Debian's
infrastructure. - For now I'm happy, if somebody became curious. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadoop

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro