Re: Hardware trouble ries.debian.org - ftpmaster.debian.org / release.d.o services disabled

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12065 March 1977, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> ries.debian.org, the host behind ftp-master.debian.org, has hardware
>> trouble, a failed memory module keeps resetting the machine at random
>> intervals.
>
>> Will send a notice when service is back to normal.
>
> And another update for you all out there, waiting:
>
> After several ping-pongs the support finally understood that no round of
> firmware updates, changing slots of the DIMMs and trying whatever does
> not help, so we are now waiting for a new mainboard to arrive, as well
> as a technician. The current timeline lets us assume this is done, latest,
> day after tomorrow, please be patient. Will keep you updated when status
> changes.
>
> The backup plan still is moving this service to another machine. This
> hasn't been done yet for various reasons. One of them is simply that it
> took a little longer to move the remaining services away from it, but
> also the amount of work included.
>
> Now, should the technician not be able to resurrect ries, our backup
> plan extends to have the disks shipped over and replace the ones
> currently in rietz.

I'm wondering if Debian has the resources (DSA, local admins and
hardware) to have a hot-swappable backup machine for ftpmaster, since
it does go down occasionally and when it does the downtime is fairly
disruptive to Debian.

--
bye,
pabs