Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> What is the use case of a default format if all packages provide
> debian/source/format ?

The default source format is required for backwards compatibility. I can't
simply make the build fail if debian/source/format doesn't exist!

But you're right that changing the default format doesn't make much sense
when we are in a situation where we have multiple source formats and that
there's none that is acceptable to use in all cases.

Instead, when we'll deprecate the 1.0 format, we should simply make
dpkg-source -b fail if debian/source/format doesn't exist.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/