Re: source package descriptions: subtsvars are not enough

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - It is not standardized: substvars are set via custom commands in
>   debian/rules and there are thousands ways of setting them. When
>   opening a random source package, one would not know where exactly to
>   look for the common part of source package description. Nor an
>   automated tool can extract it.

You completely misparsed my answer/suggestion. My suggestion is to follow
your advice, add a Description field in the source part of debian/control,
let it flow in the .dsc and Sources _AND_ modify dpkg-gencontrol so that
you can use new default substitution variables to reuse the source
description elsewhere. There would be no need for any custom command
in debian/rules.

> To fix that, it seems to me that the most reasonable solution advanced
> in the thread is to add a proper "Description" field to source package
> stanzas. Then, in addition, we can setup an automatic substvar, whose
> content is the source description, that can then be used in package
> description stanzas to interpolate the source description.

That's precisely what I have been suggesting.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/