Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:35:30AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On 26 February 2010 09:53, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> > According to http://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization :
> >
> > "Qemu and KVM - Mostly used on Desktops/Laptops"
> >
> > "VirtualBox - Mostly used on Desktops/Laptops"
> >
> > "Xen - Provides para-virtualization and full-virtualization. Mostly used
> > on servers. Will be abandoned after squeeze."
>
> This doesn't help answer your questions (which I am interested in
> knowing the answers too), however there is also lxc - Linux Containers
> which may be another solution for some problems. It is not a
> replacement for any of the above however.

LXC is the future replacement of our OpenVZ kernel packages. However,
reportedly it's not nearly as stable yet.

At the same time, the OpenVZ upstream git has only made it as far as
mainline .27. See: http://git.openvz.org/ Unless they shift up to .32
soonish, or someone packages the .27 kernel in Debian, we're unlikely
to see continued support for it in squeeze. :/

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.