Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 04:53:56PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> "Xen - Provides para-virtualization and full-virtualization. Mostly used
> on servers. Will be abandoned after squeeze."
> The Xen page on the wiki makes no mention of this.

Well, I don't know where this conclusion comes from. But usually the
maintainers are responsible for such decisions.

> 1) Will a squeeze system be able to run the Xen hypervisor?

Why not? I see packages laying around.

> 1)                                                           A Xen dom0?

Most likely yes. I'm currently ironing out the obvious bugs.

> 2) Will a squeeze system be able to be installed as a Xen domU with a
> lenny dom0?  What about squeeze+1?

Yes. It should even run on RHEL 5.

> 3) What will be our preferred Linux server virtualization option after
> squeeze?  Are we confident enough in the stability and performance of
> KVM to call it such?  (Last I checked, its paravirt support was of
> rather iffy stability and performance, but I could be off.)

Did we ever had something "preferred"?

Bastian

--
Humans do claim a great deal for that particular emotion (love).
		-- Spock, "The Lights of Zetar", stardate 5725.6