Re: Misc developer news (#21)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 08:53 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > > The primary one I'm unhappy with is its deleting part of the upstream
> > > tarball with (AFAIK) no warning and no control. (That is, if upstream
> > > have a debian dir, it gets nuked, rather than us collaborating on it).
> >
> > That's a feature and an advantage in many situations. It really doesn't
> > forbid you to reuse the upstream dir nor does it forbid you to collaborate
> > with upstream to update it.
>
> So how do you do that?

To use the upstream dir, you simply do no changes when you're doing the
initial packaging. The debian tarball will match what upstream has
provided.

Later on when you do your changes, you can use "diff" to create a patch to
send updates for the debian dir to upstream... or you can use your
VCS if you keep a branch with the upstream sources.

I fail to see the problem that you thought of.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/