Bug#570053: RFH: blender -- Very fast and versatile 3D modeller/renderer
I request assistance with maintaining the blender package.
Blender is nice, but might benefit from more hands than only mine. If
you want to help, please have a look at this checklist which should help
you see if you fit the profile (if you don't, don't be afraid to reply
anyway; I'm just trying to help you decide whether you want to try and
dig into it):
- You're a Blender user; helps testing. :)
- You're not afraid of dealing with a “big” package (it takes quite
some time to compile); IOW: you know about ccache.
- You're not afraid of maintaining some patches forever (dropping third
party libraries, fixing security bugs, supporting more platforms,
- You talk cmake; There are several options when it comes to building
Blender; and scons is clearly not a sustainable solution. I tried.
- You talk svn (or git-svn: http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/git-svn); handy to
check whether there are some patches available upstream.
Again, that's just an informal list of stuff you might come across while
working on the blender package, not a list of prerequisites. :)
- Enable the “security patch” again.
- Maybe double-check localization.
- Check building within unstable.
- Finally move 2.50 alpha 0 to unstable.
The package description is:
Blender is an integrated 3d suite for modelling, animation, rendering,
post-production, interactive creation and playback (games). Blender has its
own particular user interface, which is implemented entirely in OpenGL and
designed with speed in mind. Python bindings are available for scripting;
import/export features for popular file formats like 3D Studio and Wavefront
Obj are implemented as scripts by the community. Stills, animations, models
for games or other third party engines and interactive content in the form of
a standalone binary and/or a web plug-in are common products of Blender use.