Re: Faster boot by running init.d scripts in parallel

[Manoj Srivastava]
>  So, on deeper inspection, I have to recant: setting concurrency to
>  makefile in /etc/default/rcS does not in fact change the
>  timing. Which made me wonder why I thought it did, and it might be
>  that I removed but not purged a package, and that might have made
>  inserv throw a hissy fit. After purging that packages, reboots with
>  and without the concurrency bit show absolutely no change.

Right.  That sound more sensible.  I would expect no change if the
boot is IO bound and not CPU bound, but slower boot with concurrent
booting was a mystery to me. :)

Was this with or without dependency based boot script ordering?  The
concurrent booting only work with dependency based boot sequencing.

> I can still put up the bootchartd data, but it is pretty boring.

Please do, I find it interesting to learn more how different Debian
systems boot to see if there are new improvements to be found. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen