RC bug: symlinks in /etc

Dear debian-devel@,

I need your advice on an RC bug[1] in l7-protocols. The package ships protocols definitions which are located in /usr/share/l7-protocols. Since l7-filter-userspace is looking for those definitions in /etc/l7-protocols, the package ships symlinks in /etc/l7-protocols for every protocol definition. Those symlinks weren't marked as conffiles (due to #421346) but it didn't matter anyway since dpkg does not handle symlink connfiles very well (#421344). I have proposed report several options in this bug report, but none of them are completely satisfying (at least for me). Currently, the most appealing solution is to put all the protocol definitions directly in /etc/l7-protocols and ditch /usr/share/l7-protocols completely.

Does anybody have an idea what to do with this issue?

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/546665

--
Piotr Lewandowski