Re: default character encoding for everything in debian

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:53 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 01:45:40PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> > While utf-8 covers the broadest set of character glyphs possible, it
> > suffers from size as well as performance penalties. Characters no
> > longer are guaranteed to fit in a byte, how do you define
> > strlen(utf8_string) &c pp.  All these issues have been solved but not
> > for free.

> Of course there's a penalty for certain operations.  But UTF-8 is about
> as compact as an extended encoding is going to get.

It's not Huffman (just kidding :), stating the obvious you're trading
time efficiency for space efficiency.

> > There are a lot of users out there that are not willing to pay the price
> > for increased generality.

> These users will need to change their character encoding to something else.
> But the Debian default should remain UTF-8.  Those not willing to pay the
> flexibility/performance tradeoff are the exception, and will need to
> customise their environment accordingly.

Either my memory is wrong or I seem to have missed some fundamental
change in Debian Policy during my 5 year of absence.  From those days
I seem to remember that Debian supported use of low end machines in
the past while they seem to be deprecated now as I was told in another
thread on d-u iirc.  Call me a dinosaur, I'm not yet decided how to
think about this.

Regards
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de