Re: Status of new source formats project

> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:

>> But actually, among the programs that are not distributed upstream in a
>> tar.gz format, we in the Debian Med team have as many zip cases as
>> bzip2. Do you think that it would be possible to support zip format
>> (i.e. .zip, .jar and .xpi extensions) for Debian source packages
>> version 3?

> Not really. First of all, that support should have been implemented with
> the rest so that it's available in lenny already. Then many options and
> features rely on the fact that tar is used. So it would probably
> requires addition of a supplementary abstraction/indirection.

Adding .zip would also be rather a pain for things like lintian.  Not
impossible, but lintian assumes that it can get tar listings of Debian
packages and knows their format.  Different compression methods don't
change that, but .zip is a completely different file format that requires
a completely different set of tools.

I would prefer that we not go this direction.  I don't think the
additional complexity is really worth it.