Re: Debian, universal operating system?

2009/7/26 Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be>:
> ## BANNER { http://www.debian.org/banners/3.1/sarge-ban1-6.png }
>
> Universal operating system #?@!
>
> First of all, let's make it clear, Debian is not THE universal operating
> system. I mean it is definitely not the one and only OS.

As said in the talk @ Debconf: this is just a slogan. Maybe before
discussing whether we are (or not) a universal OS and whether we need
(or not) to change the slogan we need to really define what we mean
with "Universal OS" and make that public:

Please notice:

- The search '"universal operating system" site:ww.debian.org' shows
that we do not dwelve into this slogan this much.

- There is an (in my opinion) excellent paper by Andreas Tille
(Debconf 7) which discusses this concept and could be used as a
starting point.

Maybe somebody could write a WML page describing the concept and we
can discuss it, and put that up at the website. As maintainer of the
Debian FAQ (which, I believe, is one of the few places where the
"Universal Operating System" concept is described) [2] I'm open for
patches to improve the definition :)

Regards

Javier

[1] http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/200706_debconf7_cdd/tuos-paper.pdfr.ps