Re: Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

Hi

On Freitag, 24. April 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:
>
> > To an hypothetical person that would deeply care about not running
> > non-free software, does that provide any real gain/benefit/improvement
> > over running a kernel full of request_firmware() calls, and never
> > installing a firmware package from non-free in their systems? Honest
> > question.
>
> Jokes about “sin” aside: It's a whole lot easier to *discover* such
> non-free pieces if one can be confident that, even if installed by
> mistake, they will fail to load.
>
> Think of it as “defense in depth”, ensuring that there is more than
> one barrier to undesirable elements.

Just as a side note, there are a number of FOSS firmwares requiring
request_firmware() available, voiding this argument. Be it Robert Millan's
"a56" [1] package for the Motorola DSP56001 DSPs or OpenFWWF [2] (#513974,
as it depends on kernel 2.6.30 (ideally 2.6.31) [3], I haven't pushed for
it yet, but it works well) as a GPL2 licensed free firmware for a number of
Broadcom 802.11b/g wlan cards. Similar approaches to create free firmware
replacements have (had?) also been started for prism54/ p54 wlan cards,
although I'm not aware of its status.

Regards
Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1] http://packages.debian.org/a56