Re: Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
>> Okay. So I take it then that you would be against separate packaging
>> for Linux-Libre for Debian, and prefer instead to apply all its
>> changes to Debian's Linux?
>
> I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I feel the urge to weigh in.
>
> I think the removal of even the ability to load non-free firmware is
> stupid and self-defeating and certainly don't think that should be done
> in Debian, in either the main Linux kernel packages or, for that matter,
> in a separate package.

Shouldn't that be /non-free firmware/external firmware/? If someone
starts writing free firmware for some of the affected devices, it will
for sure have to live outside the main kernel tree for a while. Later
people will still want to give users the option to use the free firmware
or the better tested non-free one.

Not that I know of any efforts, or even whether that would be
realistic. Just a principle thought.

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster