Re: Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 23:37 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 20:32 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > I understand that this packages Linux Libre, which is somewhat
> > > different from the Debian ‘linux-image’ kernel. What is the
> > > likelihood that this work will make its way into Debian main as a
> > > supported option?
> >
> > I believe all the changes Robert made are already in sid, as
> > Maximilian Attems said.
>
> I don't understand that statement. As I understand it, Robert Millan has
> packaged someone *else*'s changes:

Since Robert was so enthusiastic about the patches I created or adapted
in the run up to the lenny release, and since he prepended to the
changelog for the existing Debian kernel, I assumed he was using those.

> those changes that result in Linux Libre
> <URL:http://directory.fsf.org/project/linux/>.

Which appears to be scripted using something like:
http://www.fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/software/linux-libre/scripts/deblob-2.6.26

[...]
> Or are you saying that there's *no* difference between Debian's Linux
> and Linux Libre, except the packaging?

No.

> Or something else?

What I meant was that all the firmware blobs reported as bugs in the
lenny kernel are gone in sid, either through upstream changes or new
Debian patches.  A few more, found later, will be gone in the 2.6.30
package.

(There are three more blobs I spotted in a recent search, which I will
try to separate out when I have the time.  It looks like Linux Libre
already got those.  It still has the blob in
arch/powerpc/sysdev/micropatch.c, though.)

Ben.