Re: Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 20:32 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > I understand that this packages Linux Libre, which is somewhat
> > different from the Debian ‘linux-image’ kernel. What is the
> > likelihood that this work will make its way into Debian main as a
> > supported option?
>
> I believe all the changes Robert made are already in sid, as
> Maximilian Attems said.

I don't understand that statement. As I understand it, Robert Millan has
packaged someone *else*'s changes: those changes that result in Linux
Libre <URL:http://directory.fsf.org/project/linux/>.

If you're saying that Robert's *packaging* of Linux Libre has already
been applied to Debian sid's Linux, I don't see how that makes sense,
since AFAIK Linux Libre isn't in sid.

Are you saying Robert's changes made not only the Debian packaging of
Linux Libre, but also made Linux Libre itself? And that the difference
between Debian's Linux and Linux Libre are now applied in sid?

Or are you saying that there's *no* difference between Debian's Linux
and Linux Libre, except the packaging?

Or something else?

--
 \        “If it ain't bust don't fix it is a very sound principle and |
  `\      remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it |