Re: Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

> no point in posting that to devel announce.

Agreed.

> this work is pointless

Only if you think FSF-free is pointless, obviously that isn't everyone.

> if you want a working and dfsg free converging linux-2.6 use our sid packages.
> we are actively working with upstream in getting allmost all drivers
> using request_firmware() and providing the corresponding linux-firmware
> in non-free. see http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing for
> status. excluding drivers/staging 2.6.29 is allmost there, upcoming
> 2.6.30 has further request_firmware() and dfsg improvements.

linux-libre goes further and removes even the request_firmware calls
for non-free firmware:

http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/Alexandre_Olivia_-_Linux_Libre_-_LibrePlanet_2009.spx
http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Alexandre_Oliva_%28LP09%29

--