Re: ucf: Diversion of /u/b/ucf by etcgit

On Wed, Apr 22 2009, Jörg Sommer wrote:

> I've changed the wrapper of ucf to do nothing and pass full control
> over to ucf until enable_ucf_wrapper is set to yes in
> /etc/etcgit.conf. This isn't set by default, so after installation of
> the package the user has to enable the wrapper manually. Therefore,
> ucf works the same as without etcgit until the user sets the variable.

        OK. This way, the user takes control, and bears the
 responsibility, which is ok.

> Is this fine for you? Can I upload the package?

        Sure.

> What do you prever what I should do with the manual page? Should I divert
> the manual page, too, so the user gets the manual page of the ucf wrapper
> when he types “man ucf” or should I let the manual page stay and add a
> manual page for the diverted ucf?

        I think if /usr/bin/ucf is diverted, so should the man page be.

> 1. man ucf gives original manual page and man ucf.etcgit give the manual
>    page for the wrapper, while ucf is the wrapper and ucf.etcgit is the
>    original ucf. This has the advantage that you get the commands and
>    options of ucf with “man ucf.”
>
> 2. man ucf explains ucf was redirected and the user has to look at man
>    ucf.etcgit to find the options of ucf.

        The second option is the right one, I think. The new man page
 should have some information of what changes the users can expect if the
 turn on enable_ucf_wrapper; but apart from that, this sounds good.

        manoj
--
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein Quotes On People and Life: