Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Vincent Danjean wrote:

Remove the first space, remove the '.' that are alone on their line,

That's cheap.

add a blank line before enumeration (this last point seems the more
annoying to me: it can be difficult to automatically find where to
insert a blank line).

Well - here is the crux which let's me wonder whether Manoj was
right in his posting[1] when he claimed:

> If you make a suggestion please answer the following question:
>
>   A. Does the suggestion enable parsing logical structures like
>      two level itemize lists?
>      (This is what I want to approach and what is IMHO needed)

        Markdown and ReST, trivially.

>   B. Does the suggestion enable keeping the majority of description
>      untouched and enables keeping the currently existing tools?
>      (This is important to gain any acceptance)

        Yes, for both.

It is neither trivial to detect the point where to add the needed
blank line nor would it be a solution to advise people alwasy to
enclose lists in blank lines because people will tell you that
this will look ugly in the existing interfaces.  So I would rather
tend to "No for both" and this is the crux here.

So while I perfectly agree with Manoj that voting on technical
decisions is a bad idea I come back to my initial suggestion because
my suggestions are technically equivalent but express a matter of
taste of the developers which might lead to better acceptance.

I would love if somebody could provide a proof that I'm wrong and
there is a reliable way to turn long descriptions into proper markdown
input to *really* be able to detect the lists.  If not I think I
continue with my intention as described. [2]

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/04/msg00652.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/04/msg00643.html