Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Thu, Apr 16 2009, Ben Finney wrote:

> (following up on IRC discussion)
>
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>>         I suggest we follow a convention and tool set already in place,
>>  with multiple language bindings, if you must insist on adding rules to
>>  the long description.
>>
>>         There are alternatives (Text::Textile comes to mind), but
>>  Markdown has better language support, so long description parsers might
>>  have an easier time.
>>
>>         I suggest, for readability, to use a subset of markdown; the
>>  link and image tags are not that human readable.
>
> reStructuredText <URL:http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html> (reST)
> is, I argue, a superior choice to Markdown for our existing format.

        I can live with restructured text. I would like to point out,
 though, that the language support is more mature in markdown, and the
 subset of features we care about are identical in markdown and rest.

> It also helps that the simple bullet lists that are the most common case
> are perfectly valid in reST too.

        Right.

        manoj

--
Patageometry, n.: The study of those mathematical properties that are
invariant under brain transplants.