Re: DEP-4 TDebs - updated

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:29:17 +0200
Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49:53AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > If replying from the -policy list, please keep either me or -devel
> > CC'd. I'm subscribed to both -devel and -i18n. Thanks.
> >
> > I've updated DEP-4 to include more content around some of the issues
> > raised so far.
> >
> > http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep4/
> >
> > I've also done some more work on the dpkg support and it is mostly
> > working, although my git repo is somewhat behind the current dpkg 1.15
> > unreleased git master code. (The changes are mostly in areas that don't
> > affect TDebs).
>
> Would be so kind as to explain what tdebs are in the first place ?

TDebs are Translation Debs.

The Specification is too long to duplicate in entirety on lists, but
this is the start.

TDeb Specification

This is where the Draft TDeb Specification, created at the
ftp-master/i18n meeting in Extremadura, will be developed and improved.
Motivation

   1. Updates to translations should not require source NMU’s.
   2. Translation data should not be distributed in
architecture-dependent packages.
   3. Translators should have a common interface for getting updates
into Debian (possibly with automated TDeb generation after i18n team
review).

Abstract: This document provides an overview of the TDeb format, TDeb
 design and usage. This specification should be considered as a work in
 progress.

Purpose: The aim of the DEP is to improve and ratify sufficient
portions of the specification to allow Squeeze to be released with
support for TDebs in core packaging tools, ready for the creation of
the first TDebs in Squeeze+1.

Primary focus: Tool support in Squeeze. Initially, only debconf
translations will be targeted for TDebs in Squeeze+1 - package
translations for native packages should also be possible in Squeeze+1
but other translations are not likely to be implemented until
Squeeze+2. Please keep the DEP concentrating on the tools, not the later
implementation. There will be time to improve support in Squeeze+1 for
corner cases arising from packages looking for TDebs in Squeeze+2.

Original thread:

Neil Williams
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/