Re: debian/copyright verbosity

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:27:33PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Does Files: *.c mean that everything below applies equally to all
> > files that match the pattern or does it mean that the statement
> > includes a summary of all files that match the pattern?
>
> Before this thread, I was under the unquestioning assumption that the
> former interpretation was the only one. The question has never, to my
> knowledge, been raised explicitly like this before. I'd like to know
> what the consensus of the Debian project is on the question.

Likewise, I had never thought of this use before, but now it has been explained
I don't think I have a problem with it. My expectation for the Copyright field
has been widened significantly following recent discussion, to the point where I
no longer consider it necessary at all. Given this position, it is not hard for
me to appreciate that you might want to collapse any copyright statements down
into one File stanza for convenience.