Re: [Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:24:47AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> On 10/04/09 at 09:18 +0200, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
>>> * Debian Autobuilding Infrastructure Rewrite *
>>> Student: Philipp Kern, Mentor: Luk Claes
>> I'm a bit puzzled by this. Philipp has been involved in Debian and a DD
>> for years. He is already involved in buildd management.
>>
>> That proposal totally looks like he will get paid to work on things he
>> already does in Debian.
>>
>> I thought that there was no consensus that this is OK.
>
> I thought the same, and the thread which developed from this objection
> is kind of a proof of the fact that there is no consensus, IMO.

Note that you could also use that argument for the other side.. :)

> The fact that in the past there were DDs acting a students is no
> excuse, even more so because several of such projects were
> unsuccessful in terms of what they brought to Debian. Unfortunately, I
> cannot find evidence of the discussion I happen to remember in the
> archives of this list.

We did take note of the phenomenon of DDs continuing their usual duties
and not using their time exclusively on their GSoC project, resulting in
failures. We believe it won't happen for the projects we retained.

2008 here: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg01267.html>
I'm pretty sure we have 2007 and 2006 but I don't feel like digging that up.

> I don't want to ruin the organization of Obey for this year, at this
> point. Nevertheless I think that assigning a project to a student-DD
> is an error and I also thought it was clear to everybody before this.
> So, better to set up a clear guideline *at least* for next year.

Everyone is perfectly fine with discussing this issue, as long as it
remains civil and it happens outside of the GSoC period when students
are scrutinizing us. Bringing dunc-tank et al. up is certainly not a
good way to to attract fresh blood to our project.

I hope we can have a fruitful discussion about this in, say,
november-december and come to a guideline everyone can agree with. In
the meantime, we're choosing option (3) in Lucas' mail: compromise.

Also, only 45 DD/DMs signed up to review, discuss and score proposals,
converging to our current shortlist. This number could be higher and I
hope more DDs will be interested in reviewing or mentoring in the future.

Cheers

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu