Re: Google Summer of Code 2009: is not dunc tank

On 10/04/09 at 12:03 +0200, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> And please don't compare the Summer of Code with Dunc Tank, it's
> insulting to all the students, mentors and admins involved. Should I
> remind you all that I'm also a student ?
> Dunc Tank was about funding working professionals to work on
> release-critical stuff that would otherwise have been done exactly the
> same way. They were paid a sum equivalent to a software engineer's salary.
> The Summer of Code is about funding students, sometimes undergrads, to
> not have to go work at McDonalds during the summer but instead work on
> stuff related to what they are studying.

That's right. But DDs are free to apply to other projects, as are
contributors to other projects free to apply to Debian.

> Please stop comparing Dunc Tank to the Summer of code. It's just wrong.
> I did the Summer of Code last year for Debian, and I can tell you that
> no one, at least in the 2009 run that I'm admining here, is going in
> with a mercenary thinking.

Are you implying that the people involved in Dunc Tank were going with a
mercenary thinking?

> Since all our shortlisted proposals are primary proposals, and we don't
> have a waitlist because the other proposals are clearly not as good as
> the ones in our shortlist, if we reject this project, it means we'll
> request one less slot from Google. Cool, you saved Google some pocket
> change. Are we going pyrrhic enough ?

What could be considered fair is, if DDs are involved as students in
GSOC, to give the money to Debian instead of giving it to the students
(one way or another ; it doesn't need to be a direct Google -> SPI
transfer). The money could then benefit the project as a whole (through
Debconf sponsorship, for example).  And it's already the case for
mentors: they are not paid, but the $500 (I think) are given to the
project (or to Debconf, I think it depends on the mentor).