Re: Location of Packages and Translation files seem to have changed since yesterday

Andreas Tille wrote:
   http://ftp.debian.org/

says:

This FTP server belongs to Academic Computer Club, Umeå University. Technical information is available here.

because that's true. ACC is the sponsor of ftp.debian.org.
on the other hand ftp.d.o is not a good place to get accurate status of the files at mirrors because it is deprecated since 2001.
See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2008/09/msg00015.html

Moreover I noticed that the translation files I obtained from

   http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/

are not available as gz any more but only as bz2.

Did anything changed that should have been announced?

It might.
see this thread:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-l10n-devel/2009-February/000408.html

--