Re: Location of Packages and Translation files seem to have changed since yesterday

Hi,

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> this does not exist any more and I have to add a directory 'debian'
>
>    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

This is the only official URL that works across all official mirrors.
You only had luck that the former URL worked and when the server behind
the DNS entry changed you get a problem.

> to access the packages file.  I also wonder why the page
>    http://ftp.debian.org/
> says:
>
>    This FTP server belongs to Academic Computer Club, Umeå University. Technical information is available here.

I get a simple directory listing there.

$ host ftp.debian.org
ftp.debian.org has address 130.89.149.226

Anyway, what's the problem with having information there ?

> Moreover I noticed that the translation files I obtained from
>    http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/
> are not available as gz any more but only as bz2.
>
> Did anything changed that should have been announced?

The change has been made in dak here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dak/2009/03/msg00123.html

No idea if that was intentional or not.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/