Re: This topic died off; any resolution?

On Mon, Mar 30 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>> get-orig-source: get-latest-source
>> get-latest-source:
>> get-debian-source:

> At the cost of additional complexity of the specification, which I'm not
> really happy about.  I'd rather standardize one single interface, not
> require both interfaces be available with boilerplate glue.  Also, on a
> similar complexity front, I'd rather decide which of the two
> get-orig-source should be and not standardize both unless people see a
> real need to have both of them).

        Assuming you are referring to downloading the latest versus
 current versus specified upstream version
  a) We can always get current and any previous version of the modified
     source from the debian archive using apt-get source, so it is less
     critical to have that codified as a rules target
  b) The latest sources, especially mangled, are not downloadable, and
     need help
  c) The current wording, and the default of uscan,  both talk about the
     latest upstream,
  d) Even from a VCS, getting HEAD is usually  easy; getting a specific
     version requires knowledge of how such snapshots are recorded
     (tags, etc). This is specially true for VCS's that allow sub
     modules, like arch, and git.
  e) We can also see if people adopt get-upstream-source as a target
     that gets a specified version from upstream before making it
     policy.

        Since current policy language is about latest sources, it is
 less of a shift to add clarity without changing the default, and we can
 always let people create a new target for getting  a specified upstream
 version, and let the design for specifying the upstream version to get
 be developed in the wild, and not do the design work in policy.

        manoj
--
Nothing recedes like success. Walter Winchell