Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

ke, 2009-03-25 kello 01:32 +0000, Noah Slater kirjoitti:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:39:46AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > I'm curious... What do you think *is* the "Debian way of doing things
> > like this" ?
>
> Manoj's email strongly implied that a DEP was needless bureaucracy.
>
> I'm hardly likely to argue with you about what constitutes the Debian way, but
> considering we've let a proposal stew on a wiki for over a year, have taken some
> discussion over to the mailing list and are now working on a DEP, I find it very
> confusing that it should be considered that we are somehow abusing the process.

Speaking as one of the drivers of DEP0, I think you are misunderstanding
how DEPs should be driven. They should not be used to control the
discussion. They are, very fundamentally, a way to record consensus and
the state of the discussion. As a by-product, they hopefully produce a
document that will be useful later.

If the people participating in a discussion have to be aware that
something is discussed as part of a DEP, and have to adjust their
behavior accordingly, the drivers have failed.

(Also, DEPs are hardly the established "Debian way of doing things".
There's only two accepted ones, and only six ones ever registered,
counting DEP0 itself. I hope that DEPs will some day be accepted, but
they won't be, if it's OK to use them as hitting implements.)