Re: Transition of initscripts to new order / sequence number

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:16:31AM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> >> It seems to me that it would be a lot less effort to fix this by removing
> >> file-rc in Debian, which has only a handful (137) of popcon reports.  Even
> >> if we take into consideration that popcon isn't a good source of absolute
> >> numbers, this comes out to .2% of popcon reports that we're spending this
> >> effort on, and for what benefit?
> > Benefit of having an abstraction layer.
>
> That's not a benefit, that's a burden.  You don't abstract things that you
> don't *need* to have abstracted.

Only, in this case, we need it abstracted (which it already is), and we need
it to _remain_ abstracted.

Otherwise, we will have massive pains to switch initsystems (as in: it will
be either completely impossible, or it will take two or three stable
releases to do it).  It was trouble enough to implement invoke-rc.d.

> > - They never had to fiddle with runlevels, so they don't known what
> > a nuisance it is with sysv-rc.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, that's an argument for improving the tools for
> managing runlevels via sysv-rc, not for changing the update-rc.d API.

The update-rc.d API is incomplete.  It really needs to be extended, and
that's what people are doing.  update-rc.d is a maintainer script API (if
the local admin wants to use it directly, that's his problem).  This has
_nothing_ to do with end-user tools for sysv-rc.

No regular package maintainer script has _any_ business dealing with sysv-rc
tools (exceptions are other initscript subsystem packages, sysv-rc packages,
etc).  They need to do it over the abstraction layer, so that they will work
with different initscript systems.

  Henrique Holschuh